/boot on Btrfs still not supported, main problem is anaconda and grubby

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Fri Mar 20 18:47:59 UTC 2015

Am 20.03.2015 um 18:58 schrieb drago01:
> That is not the only issue.
> If grub itself gets updated and you run grub2-mkconfig the generated
> config file might cause issues with the grub that is actually
> installed on disk (we do not reinstall grub on updates)

and you can't update grub that easy in all environments

example are 4 machines i support with 4 disks as SW-RAID10 and the first
partition /boot is a RAID1 over all 4 disks, so i need to run
grub2-install in doubt on all 4 disks to make sure whatever one is the
first detected in case of failures it is bootable

well, i personally take care of install grub2 on all 4 disk after i face
the package updated, but you likely can't do that automatically in a
safe way - so whatever config would be generated in doubt needs to work
with whatever grub binary is in the MBR of the first found disk