Naming packages when upstream uses dashes in the release version

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Wed May 6 08:24:13 UTC 2015

On 05/06/2015 09:21 AM, Petr Pisar wrote:
> On 2015-05-05, Alexander Ploumistos <alex.ploumistos at gmail.com> wrote:
>> What irks me the most, is that the version of the source package is
>> 3.80-1 and this is reflected in the spec file macros (Version: 3.80,
>> Release 1),
>
> It depends on the meaning of the upstream's `-1'. Basically, I would
> interpret it as yet another version level, i.e. as `3.80.1'. If the upstream
> tends to release `3.80.1-1', I'd interpret `3.80-1' as `3.80.0.1'.

This is one common practice. I personally use "_" for local packages in
such occasions (IIRC, rpm doesn't care whether "_" or "." is used).

Another alternative would be to fold in the number behind the dash into
%release, following "Post-Release packages" scheme outlined on
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:NamingGuidelines#Package_Naming_and_Versioning_Guidelines

However, like Petr said, much depends upon upstream's intentions and
conventions.

Ralf