fedup for F23 and beyond

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Thu May 28 23:11:56 UTC 2015

On 28 May 2015 at 16:42, Michael Catanzaro <mcatanzaro at gnome.org> wrote:
> On Thu, 2015-05-28 at 15:05 -0600, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
>> With timed: you don't get the newest thing, but switching to the new
>> stuff is more on your schedule. You can ignore the new release for a
>> while and still get bugfixes/security updates until you are ready to
>> do
>> the upgrade.
>
> I should add one more thing: in my vision, applications are always
> updated, period, and that's more important than anything else. We have
> to do that no matter what, or people will start leaving Fedora for
> Ubuntu Snappy Whatever which is supposed to arrive real soon now.
> They're going to have a stable OS with up-to-date applications (not
> considered part of the OS!), and we need that too to remain
> competitive.

Good luck with that vision. I would buy into it a bit more if this
wasn't the same chestnut dragged out every couple of releases to
somehow motivate us to accept whatever big OS change is being pushed.
It has become the "Cry Wolf" story and while eventually the wolf eats
the flock... it does so because no one believes the criers anymore.
Please, come up with a better story than people will drop us for
Ubuntu because none of the changes we have done have stopped that from
happening when it has happened.. and none of them have made us
overtake Ubuntu in the last 8 years.

--
Stephen J Smoogen.