Update pushing and bugzilla workflow

Adam Williamson adamwill at fedoraproject.org
Mon Nov 2 23:40:41 UTC 2015

On Mon, 2015-11-02 at 15:30 -0800, Andrew Lutomirski wrote:
> This has been bugging me for a while: what's the best practice, or
> even a good practice, for pushing updates to more than one Fedora
> version at a time?
>
> Suppose I that foo-1.0-1 is current in fc22, fc23, and rawhide.  I
> want to update them all to foo-1.0-2.
>
> Obviously step 1 is to build all three new versions.  Rawhide
> automatically picks up the new build at the next compose.  All is
> well.
>
> But now I want to submit fc22 and fc23 updates.  The only option I'm
> aware of is to submit two separate updates in bodhi.

You don't actually have to. You can submit a single update listing
builds for multiple releases to the web interface, and Bodhi will
magically split it out into one update per release.

>   In the process,
> I have to choose whether to ask bodhi to auto-close the bugzilla bug.
> Both options are wrong, unfortunately.
>
> Furthermore, now that I have two updates pending, I have a
> dependency.
> If I want to be a good packaging citizen, I shouldn't mark the fc22
> update stable before marking the fc23 update stable, because doing
> that breaks the update path.  I also don't want to close the bugzilla
> bug until *both* updates are stable.

There really isn't any great helpful way to do this, you just have to
handle it yourself, unfortunately.

> AutoQA and taskotron are basically useless, because the breakage only
> occurs if the fc22 update is marked stable before the fc23 update,
> and
> taskotron is done before that's even possible.
>
> Would it make sense to have a composite update type that targets
> multiple releases, where (a) newer targeted releases must be marked
> stable before older targeted releases and (b) the bugzilla bug is
> closed once all of the targetted releases are pushed?

I'm sure it would be helpful for a lot of cases, yep.

> Is there some other workflow that makes sense here?

Not really :/ Bugzilla in particular is just fundamentally unsuited to
handling this.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey