Update pushing and bugzilla workflow

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Mon Nov 2 23:42:28 UTC 2015

On Mon, 2 Nov 2015 15:30:41 -0800
Andrew Lutomirski <luto at mit.edu> wrote:

> This has been bugging me for a while: what's the best practice, or
> even a good practice, for pushing updates to more than one Fedora
> version at a time?
>
> Suppose I that foo-1.0-1 is current in fc22, fc23, and rawhide.  I
> want to update them all to foo-1.0-2.
>
> Obviously step 1 is to build all three new versions.  Rawhide
> automatically picks up the new build at the next compose.  All is
> well.

..snip...

> Is there some other workflow that makes sense here?

I think you are overthinking it.

Personally, I build everything, test locally, then either create
updates with 'fedpkg update' in each branch, or go to the web interface
(that lets you make all of them at once for multiple branches), and
leave close bugs on stable set.

Sure then if your f23 update goes stable the bug gets closed, but if
there's still a problem you can re-open it. If not, bodhi actually
updates the 'fixed in' field with the other updates when they go stable
too.

The alternative would be to basically setup a tracker bug (the
problem/issue) with blocks subbugs for each release, which IMHO is way
too much overhead. People are perfectly capable of seeing a bug that
was closed for f23 is still applicable to the f22 update thats in
testing and has the bug attached to it.

kevin