Retire a package from Fedora i686 (not x86_64)

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Sat Nov 7 15:12:24 UTC 2015

Am 07.11.2015 um 16:01 schrieb Felix Miata:
> Kevin Kofler composed on 2015-11-07 14:05 (UTC+0100):
>
>> Reindl Harald wrote:
>
>>> come on and don't tell me 99% of i686 users have machines older than 10
>>> years https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SSE3 because "ntel introduced SSE3
>>> in early 2004 with the Prescott revision of their Pentium 4 CPU"
>
> Any demarcation that is calendar based is purely arbitrary. 64 bit was
> introduced far more than 10 years ago. There is plenty of 32 bit hardware
> perfectly capable of doing what needs doing regardless of age. Not everyone
> needs, or wants, the bloat that newer enables. Not everyone is "speed"
> sensitive, while most are sensitive to the security that keeping current
> provides

and these are the Fedora relevant users?

that machines are fare better served with CentOS (now there is even a
i686 one while RHEL7 does not exist of 32bit) instead bleeding edge
while i don't see a compelling reason that a bleeding edge distribution
in 2015 ignores SSE3 while in the meantime SSE4.2/AVX/AVX2 where
introduced for a handful of users

"I have approximately 40 Fedora installations on 32 bit CPUs" by one
real computer and put them all inside virtual machines on top of it -
problem solved - the power savings alone wil pay it!

our new DL380 has two Xeon(R) CPU E5-2643 v3 @ 3.40GHz, 128 GB RAM, runs
the whole company 8 with a second node for failover) and consumes 115W
power (average over 24 hours)