Retire a package from Fedora i686 (not x86_64)

Samuel Sieb samuel at sieb.net
Mon Nov 9 22:57:10 UTC 2015

On 11/09/2015 02:22 PM, Reindl Harald wrote:
> Am 09.11.2015 um 22:31 schrieb Samuel Sieb:
>> I manage all the IT for a private school.  There is a computer lab for
>> the students to use.  They don't have the money to buy new computers,
>> the computers they have were donated.  They are P4 desktops from around
>> 2005 and they have SSE2.  I install Fedora on all the computers and
>> laptops there that I manage. (The older students manage their own
>> laptops, but even some of them want Fedora installed as well.)  I
>> upgraded all the P4 desktops to 2GB RAM and with F22 using a non-3D WM
>> they work perfectly for student use.
>>
>> So yes, I'm using 10 year old hardware with the latest Fedora and it
>> works great.  (I'll update them to F23 next time I'm there.)
>
> well, i tell you know the same which was told me all the time before the
> server spin "maybe you are using the wrong operating system" and frankly
> for schools you typically use thin-cients one machine

I really wonder where you come from.  I have never seen a grade school,
public or private, that uses thin-clients.  As for "wrong operating
system", do you have any suggestions for a different distribution that
is as up-to-date as Fedora that would work on these computers?

I've always run Fedora on my servers as well.

> with the agrumentations of this thread hardware manufactuers could stop
> develop new hardware capabilities if we wait 20 years to consider make
> them default - in the IT 10 years is virtually forever and *yes* capable
> hardware these days is cheap if you don't need that much performance

"Cheap"?  I might be able to able to build a computer for $300, I
haven't actually checked lately, that's what it was a few years ago.
But for a computer lab?  Why would they want to try to come up with that
much money when the existing computers work perfectly?