Unexpected NIC naming f23 firewall implications

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Wed Nov 11 15:36:57 UTC 2015

Am 11.11.2015 um 16:23 schrieb Björn Persson:
> I tend to not listen much to people who tell me to do stuff without
> stating any reasons. If you want me to change, and you're not in a
> position to give me orders, then you need to explain why the thing I'm
> doing is bad.
>
>> For MAC based name assignment you can use the ifcfg-*
>> files with HWADDR="<MAC>".
>
> Are you saying that HWADDR is a selection? It's described in
> /usr/share/doc/initscripts/sysconfig.txt as "ethernet hardware address
> for this device". That sounds like an assignment to me, assigning a new
> MAC address to the interface. If it would say "of" instead of "for",
> then I would understand it as a selection. I'll admit though, that
> if HWADDR is a selection, then it's easier to understand why both HWADDR
> and MACADDR exist

"HWADDR=" is the phyiscal address
"MACADDR=" is for changing it, known as "clone MAC" on routers

DEVICE=wan
HWADDR=24:be:05:1a:c0:27

[root at srv-rhsoft:~]$ ifconfig wan
wan: flags=67<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING>  mtu 1500
         ether 24:be:05:1a:c0:27  txqueuelen 100  (Ethernet)
         RX packets 3521821  bytes 1182354436 (1.1 GiB)
         RX errors 0  dropped 0  overruns 0  frame 0
         TX packets 2904184  bytes 3006634333 (2.8 GiB)
         TX errors 0  dropped 0 overruns 0  carrier 0  collisions 0
         device interrupt 20  memory 0xf7c00000-f7c20000