wayland in rawhide

David Airlie airlied at redhat.com
Wed Nov 11 20:35:16 UTC 2015

> Hi,
>
> On Tue, Nov 10, 2015 at 4:32 PM, David Airlie <airlied at redhat.com> wrote:
> > I'd rather we waited until wayland sessions are feature equivalent with X.
> Note this is in rawhide, early in the Fedora 24 devel cycle.  If things don't
> work out, going back isn't hard.
>
> > Sweeping this under the carpet and then not providing users any way to get
> > to something that
> > works on their hardware.
> We fall back to X in cases when we notice things aren't working, just
> as we do for the login screen.
> Remember we've been shipping the login screen on wayland for 2 releases now.
> And we provide a config option to turn wayland off explicitly for
> cases where users just want or need
> to use X.

The login screen is fine, if it just comes up on your laptop display you can
still login, however the active desktop session is a different story.

You are enabling something that is known broken and removes features from users.

Desktop rotation doesn't work for starters. This is a pretty basic feature that
I know lots of people use. You've just enabled a regression by default for all of
these people. This isn't what rawhide is for. If someone reports the regression
in a bug will you revert this feature.

Maybe trialing GNOME on wayland as the default is premature but removing the option
on login to use GNOME on X is definitely. As such I respectfully ask you put that
option back in rawhide.

If you still disagree, I'll probably have to spend time I could spend working on
stuff, taking this through some Fedora process I haven't had to deal with.

Dave.