wayland in rawhide

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Thu Nov 12 01:19:50 UTC 2015

On 11 November 2015 at 18:05, Josh Boyer <jwboyer at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 11, 2015 at 7:58 PM, David Airlie <airlied at redhat.com> wrote:
>>
>>> That's fine.  I don't have a problem adding "GNOME on Xorg" option to
>>> the session
>>> menu in the interim. I'll do it tomorrow.
>>
>> This is what the feature page said would happen in the first place. So
>> I'm also confused why you didn't just do that.
>>

>>> I will say you're coming off (to me anyway) as somewhat combative.  We're on
>>> the same team here.  Let's keep it constructive and friendly?
>>
>> Okay, I'll try and be a little less pissed off at disabling features users
>> use, that we've spent years implementing in X/GNOME.
>>
>> The fact you are requesting wayland by default while we still have the following list:
>>
>> Close all remaining feature parity gaps between the Wayland and the X11 session:
>>
>>     input methods
>>     on-screen keyboard
>>     hi-dpi support
>>     clipboard proxy for xwayland
>>     attached modal dialogs
>>     tablet support
>>     startup notification
>>     touch proxy for xwayland
>>     accessibility features
>>     output rotation
>>
>> These are just the missing features (never mind dialog boxes in wierd places bugs)
>> and it doesn't even contain the USB output hotplugging, or secondary GPU output use cases.
>>
>> So maybe I'm getting old, but I thought we were over shoving half-baked onto users now,
>> Maybe implement all those features, get them into the non-default wayland session,
>> then go lobby for enabling the wayland session by default, otherwise I feel you are
>> putting the cart before the horse.
>
> Is the concern mostly about switching to it by default and then
> somehow users won't know how to switch back to X to get their missing
> features?
>
> I'll admit that given some of the target audience we've pushed for
> where they expect things to "just work", that might be a valid
> concern.  If they log into an F24 Gnome session and the above things
> don't work, they won't view it as "oh Wayland."   They'll view it as
> "oh, regression" and likely not look at "X/Gnome" as a choice to fix
> all of it.

Well this is in rawhide and the number of users who expect things to
'just work' are probably much smaller than the ones who expect 20+
year old printers to work in 64 bits :). The problem is that there are
2 sets of people here trying to get stuff done:

1) People wanting to get a new feature in front of some set of users
before alpha/beta occur in February
2) People wanting to have rawhide be stable enough day to day to test
the other parts of the stack they care about.

This is probably one of those cases where having rawhide spins is the
best solution where team A can test stuff without breaking team B's
stuff. [Even when A and B are sitting 1-4 cubicles apart.] {if you
hear cries of anguish it was releng and qa thinking of having rawhide
spins...}

--
Stephen J Smoogen.