FedRTC.org SIP and XMPP service - help needed

Jaroslav Nahorny jaroslav at hackerspace.pl
Fri Nov 13 20:47:00 UTC 2015

Josh Boyer <jwboyer at fedoraproject.org> writes:

> On Fri, Nov 13, 2015 at 1:45 PM, Michael Catanzaro
> <mike.catanzaro at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, Nov 13, 2015 at 1:20 AM, Peter Robinson <pbrobinson at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> In both the FedRTC and debian case how many calls are made a
>>> day/month, what is the volume of XMPP etc? In the later case we
>>> already use both IRC and Telegram within the community, I'm not sure
>>> what value yet another text messaging service provides.
>>
>> Well we could use this to replace our IRC meetings. We could finish
>> meetings much faster over SIP than with IRC. It's kind of primitive
>> that we don't have a good way to do voice and video calls right now.
>
> We don't do IRC because of lack of voice or video.  We do IRC because
> it scales to whomever wants to participate.

+1

> Doing Fedora meetings in voice or video introduces limitations in the
> number of concurrent attendees, both as participants and lurkers.

And IRC sets much lower bandwidth requirements for users who want to
join. And works better for people with hearing disabilities

> It also enforces some amount of order to the meeting itself.  IRC also
> makes it extremely easy to provide exact logs of the discussions in
> addition to the minutes.

+1

> So if we are going to replace that with voice/video, we need to make
> sure it scales to a very large number of people, we have someone doing
> their best to transcribe things, and we have recording capabilities so
> people can replay it if they cannot attend.

+1

To be honest I rarely participate in Fedora IRC meetings. My thoughts
are based on 15+ years of experience with IRC, and alternative instant
communication technologies (XMPP, voice, video).

The biggest advantage of IRC for me is, you can always easily find
interesting pieces of talk by grepping logs. I wouldn't want to watch
hours of videos, to find what I'm looking for.

--
jaroslav