Lua 5.2

Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski dominik at greysector.net
Wed Nov 18 10:01:05 UTC 2015

On Wednesday, 18 November 2015 at 08:06, Germano Massullo wrote:
> Hi, I would like to ask "lua" and "compat-lua" maintainers if it is
> possible to have a packaged 5.2 lua version.
> A use case? Upstream Darktable ships a bundled Lua version 5.2, and it is
> not compatible with Lua 5.3. Fedora's Darktable does not ship the bundled
> Lua to respect Fedora packaging rules.

If there are no other users of lua-5.2 in Fedora, then you could simply
replace the bundled source with latest upstream (currently 5.2.4) and ship
it bundled (recording the bundling with Provides: bundled(lua) = 5.2.4).

If something else in Fedora still requires lua-5.2.x then the best
option is to package lua52 separately and patch Darktable to use
the system version.

You should also find out if there will be another release of lua-5.2.x
or if 5.2.4 was the last one. If it was the last one, then you'd better
try convincing the Darktable maintainers to migrate to lua-5.3.

Regards,
Dominik
RPMFusion http://rpmfusion.org
"Faith manages."