wayland in rawhide

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Fri Nov 20 16:51:39 UTC 2015

Am 20.11.2015 um 17:45 schrieb Steve Clark:
> On 11/20/2015 09:34 AM, Ian Malone wrote:
>> [1] Apparently middle mouse buttons are rare. I'm in an office
>> surrounded by them and them only computers I've used without one for
>> roughly the past decade are my old laptop (now moved on, but had
>> emulated middle click, maybe the wayland developers were unaware of
>> this too), and other people's mac laptops, which have their own
>> 'easter egg' combinations of one, two, three(?) finger clicks and
>> drags.
>>
> I just did a quick walk around our office of approximately 70 people and
> every mouse had 3 buttons.
> As far as the middle button paste being an "easter-egg" it was
> documented in the "X Windows Systems User Guide"
> on page 97 way back in 1990

well, i bought my first PC in august 1999, installed the first Linux
october 1999 and used the middle-click-paste from the very beginning
even on a 2-key mouse by just press both kyes at the same time

that was SuSE Linux 6.1 or so and now 16 years later we talk about
"eastereggs" - not sure if i should laugh or whine about the new
developer attitudes throwing away anything because someone pretend it's
not known or used and replace woking things with feature crippeled shiny
new ones bringing us back in time 15 to 30 years