Summary/Minutes from today's FESCo Meeting (2015-10-07)

Brendan Conoboy blc at redhat.com
Thu Oct 8 23:28:54 UTC 2015

On 10/08/2015 03:32 PM, Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski wrote:
> On Friday, 09 October 2015 at 00:14, Brendan Conoboy wrote:
>> On 10/08/2015 08:48 AM, Haïkel wrote:
>> [snip]
>>> Please keep in mind, that Fesco is aware this is not a perfect
>>> solution, and we''ll gladly review any proposals to improve this
>>> policy. But we can keep discussing this for years, or try to solve
>>> this issue incrementally. We chose the latter.
>> [snip]
>>
>> Replying to highlight this piece.  The passed proposal is an improvement: it
>> opens Fedora to more participants, it better reflects some upstream
>> realities, and best of all it can be further amended. As people have the
>> time and inclination they can and should propose further improvements- Fesco
>> is clearly open to and expecting this, so if you have an idea on how to
>> further improve the bundling policies, please propose it.  In this way
>> Fedora gets better and better over time.
>
> Forgive me the analogy, but to me it looked like this:
> Some vocal people don't like this old scary building we have. Let's destroy
> the building completely, put up a nicely painted shed in its place and
> hope someone will "improve it". I believe it would've been easier to
> renovate the old building than to rebuild everything from the ground up.

Hey, you sound pretty upset.  The analogy on offer is quite extreme,
presumably in proportion to how bothered you are, and unfortunately
suggests a negative view of the those who proposed/supported the
change.  Let's try a different analogy: Fedora is the house, the old
bundling policy is is a compromised floor board, the new policy is a
replacement floor board, but it needs to be sanded and stained.  You
would prefer this finish work be done before pulling the old board.
The carpenter (Fesco) decided to replace the board before finishing.
This lets everybody evaluate how much sanding and finishing is
necessary to get the new board to match the rest of the floor.  It's
clear you have specific and reasonable concerns about the new language
and it should be very straight forward to propose alterations that
Fesco can support.

--
Brendan Conoboy / RHEL Development Coordinator / Red Hat, Inc.