Recommended way of proposing changes in someone else Fedora packages configuration

Marcin Zajączkowski mszpak at wp.pl
Sun Oct 18 19:37:28 UTC 2015

Thanks for your responses, guys!

On 2015-10-18 16:57, Christopher wrote:
> To support this, I try to keep a mirror in GitHub for my packages... But
> it's hard to stay in sync sometimes and nobody really knows it's there.
> It'd be nice if this were supported directly, perhaps by automatically
> mirroring all packages in GitHub, like the ASF does, and emailing
> maintainers when activity occurs.

I like the idea with mirroring Fedora Git to GitHub. Read only mirror
just to be a dedicated place for that kind of contributions (via pull
requests). GitHub is currently probably the most popular Git hosted
repositories provider. Maintainers could subscribe to their project on
GitHub to get notifications about the new PRs (or it could be done
automatically if GitHub login is associated with FAS).

There could be optionally a support in fedpkg for merging that PRs
easily (or just an Git alias to do it - with one precised repo location
it would not be a problem).

Automatic mirroring could be probably done automatically by GitHub.
Things like GitHub account association in FAS or CLA verification
(https://github.com/google/guava/pull/2163#issuecomment-141642504) would
require some additional work.

Nevertheless I agree with Kevin about dependence on GitHub in that
element of the workflow (although not the crucial one). Maybe GitHub
integration would not be so beneficial as probably most of the
contributions come from people already related to Fedora and it would be
better to have that interface in the internal Fedora infrastructure one day.

Marcin