To someone with power to push packages on Fedora 21

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Tue Oct 20 03:05:41 UTC 2015

Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek wrote:
> Seriously? When I push out an update to testing, I already have done the
> tests on it in my system, and it *think* it is correct. What would be
> the point of pushing out something that is known to be broken?
>
> The time in testing is for others to others to do the same. The result
> is that the push to stable is based on acks from the maintainer's + n
> independent people. You seem to be saying that the maintainer's checks
> alone are better.

The maintainer is of course supposed to look at the testers' feedback when
making the decision. But it is never a good idea to blindly trust an ill-
defined integer (the difference # positive comments - # negative comments,
which is only vaguely correlated to the quality of the update) going above
an arbitrary threshold. It makes a difference who the testers are and what
exactly they wrote! The software simply CANNOT make that call for you.

        Kevin Kofler