[Fedora-packaging] Proposal to reduce anti-bundling requirements

Jóhann B. Guðmundsson johannbg at gmail.com
Fri Sep 11 18:02:59 UTC 2015

> To me (speaking as a user of Fedora, maintainer of Fedora software and
> developer of both Fedora and upstream projects), the current situation
> is not ideal. In many cases, we're holding so rigidly to the "no
> bundling" policy that it is actively harmful to Fedora's Mission:
> "The Fedora Project's mission is to lead the advancement of free and
> open source software and content as a collaborative community." When
> we aren't capable of shipping and working with upstreams that*are*
> advancing the FOSS world, we are failing in our mission to be a leader
> in that space.

Of whom are you speaking of that advances the FOSS world so dearly ?

Why does you as user of Fedora, maintainer of Fedora software and
developer of both Fedora ( not sure what developer of Fedora is supposed
to mean unless you have been developing for the projects support systems
) and upstream projects, taking their point of view of that argument,
claiming that the community cannot work with upstream community(s) and
should change it's shape ( the same community it's members have for the
past 10 years argued and convinced people to do the opposite of what you
now propose ) to suit their needs since it's them who are unwilling to
un-bundle their application or application stack?

And arguably Fedora already has more software than people to maintain it
so ( continuing ) being without few unwilling to un-bundle upstreams
would only do the distribution more good than harm.

JBG