First complaint

Máirín Duffy duffy at redhat.com
Thu Jul 2 15:32:25 UTC 2015

On 07/02/2015 11:18 AM, Spencer Hunley wrote:
> I agree with Maria and Matthew - it's with Fedora, and Fedora itself has
> no budget since it's a community-based distribution, similar to the
> budget for Debian. She seems to be confusing Red Hat with Fedora here,
> probably because the position was posted by employees of Red Hat - but
> looking at the tweet it clearly states "The @fedora community is looking
> for a Diversity & Inclusion Advisor", so I'm not sure where the
> confusion sits.

I think the confusion comes from it looking like a real paid job
description - I don't think we've ever actual done that before for an
unpaid Fedora position.

Reading the tweet
https://twitter.com/FeyNudibranch/status/616283167700332545

She's rehashing a well-worn activist trope about volunteerism with full
disregard for the fact that this is an *open source* project and the
very nature of open source is the underpinning of a large base of
volunteers. If anything, actually outlining a position and granting
authority to a non-technical volunteer is a lot more than 99.999% FLOSS
volunteers get to work with when starting out...

So I'd respond with something to point out that it's an open source
project and the very nature of such projects, eg

"This is not a generic tech job. This is an advisory role for an open
source community, communities whose underpinnings rely on volunteerism
(see
https://scholar.google.com/scholar?hl=en&q=volunteer+%22open+source%22&btnG=&as_sdt=1%2C22&as_sdtp=)"

~m