New tracker

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Sun Aug 15 23:50:54 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-08-14 at 17:17, Tammy Fox wrote:

> It seems like we have some duplication of effort here. Before I knew you
> had started a process document in XML, I started
>
> http://fedora.redhat.com/participate/documentation-quick-start/

Yeah, sorry you missed that, it predated your work by a few days.  Just
represents accumulation of consensus + my own idea wackiness.

> Seems like we should combine our efforts and decide whether to use XML
> for this or just post it on the website. Since it isn't very long, I
> started it as a straight webpage thinking it would be faster to update.
> Which do you prefer? I do like your explanation here of the lifecycle of
> a tutorial so I'll incorporate it into my page as soon as I get a chance
> (within the next few days).  We could even draw up a flow chart in Dia.
> Like I said previously, my page needs organization. I was just trying to
> get it up for everyone to see as soon as possible while everyone was
> interested in discussing the idea.

Well, it was plain text, but Dave converted it, so I thought we might as
well use it now.  I think it should end up in the Doc Guide as an
chapter.

I don't quite think of our two output as duplication, although our
content might be.  I think your Quick Intro... serves as something we
can easily find on the Web, and it quickly distills the ideas that
should be fleshed out in the part that I wrote (which is pretty fleshy).

How about this?

Fedora Doc Guide
  Doc Lifecycle Process
    Quick Introduction to Writing for Fedora Documentation Project
    Lifecycle Process

The Quick Intro... is a distillation of the ideas covered in detail in
the Lifecycle Process.  We then link directly to the Quick Intro... from
fedora.redhat.com/projects/docs _and_ from fedora.redhat.com/docs as
"how to get involved with writing or editing Fedora documentation."

The chapter Lifecycle Process is what project members must learn,
follow, and improve via consensus.

To get to that point, we need to be sure that the two accurately
describe each other.  I'll finish the process in XML, create a bug
report for it, attach it, compare that against the work you did, attach
a patch to that on the same bug, and start a fresh thread on the list
about the whole thing.

When that is done, you and the other editor-minded people can have at it
again for a final consensus.  Sound good?

- Karsten, off to prep an old window for painting
--
Karsten Wade, RHCE, Tech Writer
a lemon is just a melon in disguise