Prioritising which document?

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Sat Apr 9 14:39:20 UTC 2005

Stuart Ellis wrote:

> Re: Install Guide:
>
> Link (this build is slightly outdated):
>
> http://mythic-beasts.com/~hobb/fedora/fedora-install-guide-en/

I'm really impressed with the documentation project,
and the apparently boundless energy you people have!

I like the installation guide above
(or at least the parts of it that have been written),
though I would add the slight criticism
that it does not tell you what to do
if the step described does _not_ work.

For example, my laptop (Sony C1VFK Picturebook)
will not boot Fedora from the Sony PCMCIA CD drive that came with it.
One has to add magic words (linux text ide2=0x360,0x128 pci=off)
which are hinted at in the Release Notes.

Another computer I have with SCSI disks
does not boot from the kernel that comes with Fedora-3,
or any of its successors.
(I have compiled a kernel with SCSI support in the kernel,
but had quite a job getting this into the computer.)

So my advice would be to ask people what problems they have had
with installation, and see if you can address their problems.
perhaps in an FAQ chapter.

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366