Prioritising which document?

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Mon Apr 11 14:31:48 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-04-09 at 14:39 +0000, Timothy Murphy wrote:

> I'm really impressed with the documentation project,
> and the apparently boundless energy you people have!

Thanks.  We're really 100,000 monkeys in a room on an island Somewhere
Else.  You should have seen what happened with Microsoft made the
mistake of sending a sales rep around with a bunch of "free" copies of
MS Office.  We're still finding what we call bits-of-Redmond all over
the place.

> I like the installation guide above
> (or at least the parts of it that have been written),
> though I would add the slight criticism
> that it does not tell you what to do
> if the step described does _not_ work.

[snip other relevancies]

I agree with how useful this would be.  However, we recently decided to
focus the IG on the common case where things work as expected.  Then we
are splitting out detailed technical discussions and problem areas into
separate docs.  Otherwise, the IG becomes too big to maintain easily by
itself.

This lets us get the first 60% to 80% of users with a single guide.
Then we can focus resources on documenting other aspects of the
installation for either those who want to know more or those who have
troubles.

> So my advice would be to ask people what problems they have had
> with installation, and see if you can address their problems.
> perhaps in an FAQ chapter.

Do you have any ideas how to gather this information?

Do you any interest in working on such an FAQ?

cheers - Karsten
                       Red Hat SELinux Guide