Streamlined Install Guide

Stuart Ellis s.ellis at fastmail.co.uk
Tue Apr 12 16:26:53 UTC 2005

On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 01:58:10 +1000, "Colin Charles" <byte at aeon.com.my>
said:
> On Tue, 2005-04-12 at 17:51 +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> > Considering the fact that FreeBSD handbook is larger than any of the
> > Red
> > Hat guides the difference in terminology looks just like nitpicking
> > me. End users just want the document regardless of whats its called.
>
> Glad you brought this up. The FreeBSD Handbook is a *great resource*. If
> Fedora Docs wants to have the best documentation a Linux distribution
> can ever have, the aim should be the style of The FreeBSD Handbook
>
> Its just _amazing_

Definitely.

IMHO, though, it's hard to reproduce:

- Their release schedule is slower, which gives them a lot more time to
check and revise the whole extent for each release.

- They assume a narrower target audience than we might be comfortable
with.

- The sections also seem fairly tightly scoped.  They extensively use
callouts to man pages to supplement the material.

- I get the impression that they have a much smaller and more unified
set of core software than we currently do.

- According to an interview with a FreeBSD documenter, the Handbook has
about 15 active contributors, which must be quite hard to co-ordinate:

http://ezine.daemonnews.org/200408/trhodesinterview.html
--

Stuart Ellis