getting started (false start 1 of ?)

Gavin Henry ghenry at suretecsystems.com
Wed Apr 20 13:11:01 UTC 2005

<quote who="Duncan Lithgow">
> I installed cvs and ran those commands, but I'm  not sure what it's
> done...
>
>> I really recommend Emacs with nxml-mode:
>>
>> http://fedora.redhat.com/participate/documentation-guide/ch-emacs-nxml.html
> Okay, I'll try that as well...
>
> I got this far: http://fedora.redhat.com/participate/documentation-
> guide/s1-emacs-cedfile.html
>
> It says:
> "Find the parent file for the group of DocBook files." But use of the
> term *the* in reference to a group of DocBook files is confusing. Am I
> supposed to already have some DocBook file? I'm quite lost now.

The parent file means the file that has the docbook declaration at the
top, like:

<!DOCTYPE book PUBLIC "-//OASIS//DTD DocBook XML V4.2/EN"
"http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/xml/4.2/docbookx.dtd" [

The reason it says parent, is that, like the Documentation guide, you can
split up a huge doc into smaller section/chapters to be managed better,
but there is only one parent with the above declaration in it.

> I assume the reason that Conglomerate was easy to get up and running is
> because this guide is to make emacs compliant with the doc project and
> anything i make with conglomerate (without extra configurations) would
> be invalid for this project - is that about right?

It would be ok, but we do not not what delcaration it uses or how it tags
pu some things.

It for uniform editing basically.