getting started (false start 1 of ?)

David Malcolm dmalcolm at redhat.com
Wed Apr 20 15:58:01 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-04-20 at 14:11 +0100, Gavin Henry wrote:
> <quote who="Duncan Lithgow">
> > I installed cvs and ran those commands, but I'm  not sure what it's
> > done...
> >
> >> I really recommend Emacs with nxml-mode:
> >>
> >> http://fedora.redhat.com/participate/documentation-guide/ch-emacs-nxml.html
> > Okay, I'll try that as well...
> >
> > I got this far: http://fedora.redhat.com/participate/documentation-
> > guide/s1-emacs-cedfile.html
> >
> > It says:
> > "Find the parent file for the group of DocBook files." But use of the
> > term *the* in reference to a group of DocBook files is confusing. Am I
> > supposed to already have some DocBook file? I'm quite lost now.
>
> The parent file means the file that has the docbook declaration at the
> top, like:
>
> <!DOCTYPE book PUBLIC "-//OASIS//DTD DocBook XML V4.2/EN"
> "http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/xml/4.2/docbookx.dtd" [
>
> The reason it says parent, is that, like the Documentation guide, you can
> split up a huge doc into smaller section/chapters to be managed better,
> but there is only one parent with the above declaration in it.
>

> > I assume the reason that Conglomerate was easy to get up and running is
> > because this guide is to make emacs compliant with the doc project and
> > anything i make with conglomerate (without extra configurations) would
> > be invalid for this project - is that about right?
>
> It would be ok, but we do not not what delcaration it uses or how it tags
> pu some things.

Conglomerate (in theory) should allow you to edit any well-formed XML
document, and I've been focusing on DocBook support.  Unfortunately I
say "in theory" because it's still fairly unstable and I don't get much
time to hack on it these days :-(    (New coders most welcome!)

If there's anything Conglomerate needs to do to help the Fedora docs
project (besides becoming more stable), please file "enhancement" bugs
against it in bugzilla.gnome.org.

> It for uniform editing basically.

I don't know what you mean by this