All formats

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Thu Apr 21 19:03:39 UTC 2005

Yes, we are working on fixing the Doc Guide and Quick Start Guide to be
better.  Let's keep that discussion separate.  Same for the processes.

First, our process for taking submissions and turning them into docs is
entirely separate from the tool used to generate the docs.

As a project, we are centered around DocBook and XML.  I think this is
the right thing to do, to have a single source for documentation that
can generate _all_ formats.

So, it should be our goal to move all _appropriate_ documentation into
that format and work from there.  Eventually.

Because of the existence of tools such as DocBook Wiki, we may be able
to author bi-directionally with a Wiki.  Until that is in place, Wiki
authoring is a one-time conversion to DocBook.

We will take a new doc in any format.

We will help to convert it to DocBook XML.

All new documents _must_ have a maintainer who commits to keeping the
doc up to date.  That person doesn't have to be the original author.

If you have a doc that is _already_ in a Wiki and an argument why it
should stay there, let's consider it.

If you can only write in {Wiki, HTML, plain text, RTF, troff, LaTeX},
then go ahead.  After we convert it for you for maintenance, you can
learn the DocBook.  It's just not that hard.  Really.  And you can use
vi, jedit, Conglomerate, or whatever you choose.  You can even use
Notepad under Windows, just don't come here complaining about getting
the toolchain to work under Cygwin. :)

- Karsten
                       Red Hat SELinux Guide