All formats

Eric Rostetter rostetter at mail.utexas.edu
Thu Apr 21 21:38:21 UTC 2005

Quoting Karsten Wade <kwade at redhat.com>:

> Yes, we are working on fixing the Doc Guide and Quick Start Guide to be
> better.  Let's keep that discussion separate.  Same for the processes.

Okay.  How can we help?

> First, our process for taking submissions and turning them into docs is
> entirely separate from the tool used to generate the docs.
>
> As a project, we are centered around DocBook and XML.  I think this is
> the right thing to do, to have a single source for documentation that
> can generate _all_ formats.

I agree.

> We will take a new doc in any format.
>
> We will help to convert it to DocBook XML.
>
> All new documents _must_ have a maintainer who commits to keeping the
> doc up to date.  That person doesn't have to be the original author.

This type of clear, concise info is needed on the FDP web site.

> If you can only write in {Wiki, HTML, plain text, RTF, troff, LaTeX},
> then go ahead.  After we convert it for you for maintenance, you can
> learn the DocBook.  It's just not that hard.  Really.  And you can use

Or, they can find someone else to maintain it in theory, so they never
have to learn DocBook/CVS/etc.  Sounds good.  But I agree with others
that the FDP web site does not give this impression.

Are the web pages for the FDP (http://fedora.redhat.com/projects/docs/,
the Quick Start Guide, the Documentation Guide, and the Documentation
Project FAQs) considered as part of the same process, or separate?  How
would one go about helping with these pages other than as it states
"If you have any thoughts, please share them on the fedora-docs-list mailing
list." or using the bugzilla.

How about the page http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DocsProject/MasterTasks
which isn't listed on the FDP pages but is referenced here.  Who can update
that? And how does it related to the bugzilla entries for tasks/docs?

Interestingly, having just looked at the wiki, I find I should have already
been there and done some stuff there (like self introduction) but no where
did I find a reference to any of this...

It's like I'm arguing we need a wiki, when apparently we already have one
and I don't know it...

--
Eric Rostetter