Man page format to Docbook XML for New Authors

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Fri Apr 22 19:24:55 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-04-20 at 09:20 +0100, Gavin Henry wrote:
> Dear Guys,
>
> I recently, with the help of Stefan, tagged up the whole of:
>
> http://www.backupcentral.com/amanda.html
>
> To give:
>
> http://www.amanda.org/docs/using.html
>

> However, to get the manpages into docbook:
>
> http://www.amanda.org/docs/AMANDA-manpages.html
>
> We used Eric Raymonds Doclifter, which as you can see by the above results
> it's very good:
>
> http://www.catb.org/~esr/doclifter/
>
> Man page format is easy to write.

One thing we could use is an example of what a "good" or "best" man page
looks like.  We could use this as a reference for our work and for
making RFEs to developers.

Internally, we've looked in the past at converting all the man pages to
DocBook.  My biggest concern is that us writers don't want to take
responsibility for writing documentation that is really for the
developer to do.  OTOH, I don't mind being accountable for the final
product, as long as a developer is responsible for making the content
sane and match the example.

Still, TLDP is the owner of the man pages, right?  Maybe we can work out
a process and template and offer to do some of the work, but also get
TLDP to take on the new format for future work.

- Karsten
                       Red Hat SELinux Guide