Kate - another editor

Thomas Jones admin at buddhalinux.com
Thu Apr 28 23:13:56 UTC 2005

Karsten Wade wrote:
> Just had someone point me at Kate from KDE.  It looks like quite a
> decent XML editor.
>
> It ships as part of the kdebase package.
>
> - Karsten

Kate is the editor that I prefer. You probably expected that given the
fact that I previously wrote khelpcenter docs, huh?! ;)

If you need assistance generating one for your authoring projects; I may
be of some help.

Here's some quick pointers that I learned as I went:

To use the XML Completion plugin for FC, you will need to have a Meta
DTD generated for the specific XML Markup Language and version.

<note>I've just finished generating a "Meta DTD" for utilization with
the docbook version 4.2-1.0-25 DTD.</note>

In order to successfully generate a Meta DTD you must have access to the
DTDParse utility by Norman Walsh. I intended to build a quick
third-party fedora rpm for my website; but haven't got around to it yet.
I'll add it to the list. ;P

Although, it is good practice to build this meta document for future
reference. It probably isn't a bad idea to also generate a seperate rpm
with the neccessary contents just for FC doc authors.

<warning>There are a few "gotchas" when compiling Meta DTD using
dtdparse. The standard docbook produces fatal errors; and thusly so does
all derivative DTDs. There is an incompatability between the parsing
utility and a few docbook tokens. These will need to be remedied before
a successful Meta file is generated.</warning>

After that you are home free and can author till your hearts content!;)

HTH.
Thomas