docs ideas, dream big

Stuart Ellis stuart at elsn.org
Fri Aug 19 00:08:24 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-08-18 at 17:14 -0400, Mark Johnson wrote:
> Karsten Wade wrote:
>
> > One thing we lack is a list of what to write for new authors.  I'd like
> > to fix that.
> >
> > Look at:
> >
> > * What other distros are doing
>
> For debian, browse this directory:
>
>    http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/
>
> or, for an html version, as well as a more complete list of FAQs,
> HOWTOs, & shorter documents, see this page:
>
>    http://www.debian.org/doc/
>

> Also, the Debian Documentation Project (DDP) policy is here:
>
>    http://www.nl.debian.org/doc/manuals/ddp-policy/ddp-policy.en.html
>
> Y'all can decide whether these links merit inclusion on the wiki page...

I've poked through these, and these ideas look applicable to us:

- Reporting Bugs (it would be nice to have a short walkthrough that we
could link to, there's currently a mostly empty Wiki page for this:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/ReportingBugs).

- "Command-line survival kit".  Basically a list of common tasks and
which commands to use to get things done.  Bits of sections 3-5:
http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/users-guide/users-guide.en.html

They have a fair amount on the mechanics of how the distribution is run,
and what packagers should know, which are areas where we are perhaps
weak.

Their user manuals are less impressive (IMO), as they seem to overlap
with each other, and with TLDP docs - references for using the
command-line, and short pieces on configuring network services.

--

Stuart Ellis

stuart at elsn.org

GPG key ID: 7098ABEA
GPG key fingerprint: 68B0 E291 FB19 C845 E60E  9569 292E E365 7098 ABEA