Proposal Samba config guide

Stuart Ellis stuart at elsn.org
Sun Aug 28 09:52:00 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-08-28 at 02:09 +0200, Peter Boy wrote:
> I've written the first few chapters of the proposed guide. It is
> available at
>
> http://morna.barkhof.uni-bremen.de/Fedora-Samba-Draft.html
>

> Perhaps one of the more experienced contributors could have a quick look
> on it to check if I followed the documentation guide reasonably. If
> structural modifications are necessary would be fine to know before I
> finish the other chapters. Don't worry too much about details of the
> wording - one of our native language speakers here will check it once it
> is complete (hopefully).

As a general thing - our existing documents use lots of admonitions
(notes, cautions etc.), so feel free to use them wherever you think they
may be useful.

- I like the fact that you have explicitly stated that Samba is useful
for mixed networks: IMO this is a very important point.

- I'd consider removing section 1.3 ("Target systems"), and
restructuring section 1.4 slightly. It's important to avoid specifying
version numbers where possible, because each of the supported Fedora
versions will get package updates to new versions throughout their life.

For 1.4, you could provide the current version number as an example of a
general point:

"The samba package installs the Samba Project documentation to a
directory within /usr/share/doc/ that has the same name as the package.
For example, if you install samba-3.0.14a the documentation is placed in
the directory /usr/share/doc/samba-3.0.14a/."

- 1.5.2, Security modes: The "share" and "domain" modes are only really
useful for specific arrangements, so it may be better to talk about
"user" security first. You may be able to downgrade "share" mode to just
a note, since it probably isn't useful most of the time.

You may also want to explicitly make the point that the default "user"
mode effectively makes the Samba service the primary domain controller
of it's own NT4-style domain.

- 2.1, Installation: I think that you are absolutely right to consider
the case of dial-up users, for whom the size of the samba packages is an
issue.

As system-config-packages is likely to provide outdated packages, we
have to advise users to run yum update as soon as possible, though.
Perhaps add a "Caution" ?

- 2.1, Installation: We have to assume a default Fedora installation,
with no changes other than those specified in the document itself.

As part of the installation the user will need to use
system-config-securitylevel - the default firewall configuration blocks
access to the Samba ports, and the default SELinux configuration also
restricts some of Samba's functions.

- The general advice is to avoid using screenshots in documentation (the
IG is a special case). If you have step by step instructions you
probably don't need to use screenshots in this document.

> I need help in another area. Unfortunately I have no access to an
> English version of Windows and don't know the exact wording of the
> buttons and so on. I need someone to whom I can send a description of
> what I need to know and who will look up the exact phrase.

OK. If you can post a list of what you need I'll do this.

--

Stuart Ellis

stuart at elsn.org

GPG key ID: 7098ABEA
GPG key fingerprint: 68B0 E291 FB19 C845 E60E  9569 292E E365 7098 ABEA