Self-Introduction: Kara Pritchard

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Sat Jul 16 18:24:36 UTC 2005

Welcome Kara!

On Fri, 2005-07-15 at 15:11 -0500, kara at kspei.com wrote:
> Full legal name: Kara J. Pritchard
> City, Country: Fairview Heights, IL USA (suburb of St Louis)
> Profession: Own a computer consulting, service, and retail shop.
> Company: K&S Pritchard Enterprises, Inc. (www.kspei.com)
>
> Goals: My goals are simple... to contribute.  Since moving on from LPI and
> not having the extended time for publishing projects anymore, the itch to
> contribute somewhere has been strong.  My husband is a maintainer for a
> few Extras packages and suggested I take a look at this project.  I must
> admit that my available free time is erratic, however.

Welcome to the club, then.  Personally, I only appear to have free time.
For example, it has taken me thirty minutes to write this far. ;-)

Your background and interests sound perfect.  Do you have any topics you
want to start with?  Or anything half-finished that you'd like to use
the energy during the upcoming Push to Publish Week to get live?

In case you haven't seen it, this is a useful starting page:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DocsProject/NewWriters

Whoops, that took another twenty minutes to write.  Off to the weekend
projects. :)

- Karsten

> What do you want to write about?
> KJP: I'm best with instructional documentation such as HOWTOs,
> Step-By-Step, or Training guides.  Therefore, I think topics geared toward
> the user audience would be the most interesting.
>
> Do you want to edit for grammar/writing and/or technical accuracy?
> KJP: I've done technical editing for several book and magazine publishers.
> I'm quite opinionated when it comes to the clarity and feel a reader gets
> from a writing sample.  I'm very good at giving that opinion, so don't ask
> me to do it if you don't want any complaints :)
>
> What other projects or writing have you worked on in the past?
> KJP: I authored two editions of the RHCE Exam Cram in '99 and '00.  I
> contributed to a guide to DocBook, been a project reviewer for New
> Riders, an editor for O'Reilly, IDG, and Linux User/Format/Magazine.  I
> was also responsible for all the content development for the LPI exams
> from Dec '99 through this spring.
>
> What level and type of computer skills do you have?
> KJP: I'm becoming quite the hardware geek.  I build a lot of Linux-based
> workstations and high-end servers.  I do more admin work when it comes to
> Linux than consulting, installation, etc.  I'm not a programmer, though
> have been known to read through a perl or shell script on occasion.
>
> What other skills do you have that might be applicable?
> KJP: Good people skills, project management background
>
> What makes you an excellent match for the project?
> KJP: Long history in the Linux community, prior Linux-related technical
> content development, editing, and management experience. Very
> short-winded.
>
> GPG KEYID and fingerprint
>
> [kara at frell gpgfiles]$ gpg --fingerprint 6DEC5002
> pub  1024D/6DEC5002 2002-01-22 Kara Pritchard <kara at kspei.com>
>      Key fingerprint = 42AC 471F 6E98 8134 C39E  81F4 9F2E 1DEE 6DEC 5002
> uid                            Kara Pritchard <kara at luci.org>
> uid                            Kara Pritchard <kara at lpi.org>
> sub  1024g/27194020 2002-01-22
>

> Kara Pritchard                          Phone: 618-398-3000
> President, KS Computer Room Inc.	kara at kspei.com
> Southern Illinois Linux Users Group	www.silug.org

                       Red Hat SELinux Guide