packager-handbook

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Tue Jul 19 17:12:51 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-07-19 at 19:33 +0300, Ville Skyttä wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-07-18 at 21:25 -0400, Paul W. Frields wrote:
> > On Mon, 2005-07-18 at 21:23 -0400, Paul W. Frields wrote:
> > > I see that we've suddenly "inherited" a new document from Ville Skyttä
> > > and Marius Jøhndal.  Has someone agreed to maintain and/or edit this?
>
> I requested it to be imported somewhere in CVS after Warren asked
> whether there's something that needs to be saved in cvs.fedora.us.
> Elliot Lee imported it to docs.
>
> I think the packager's handbook, while very much work in progress and
> partially outdated, still does contain some useful information, and that
> having things in docbook format has some advantages over Wikis.  Your
> thoughts?

I thought it might be a fine idea to get "spot's" stuff from the Wiki
integrated in it wherever necessary and reasonable; that may already be
done, but I haven't read through the whole thing.  Certainly we're happy
to house it, as long as there's a mintainer! :-)  There are a few docs
people who are maintainers in Extras CVS, so certainly someone can be
roped into helping out.

> The packager's handbook does not need anything right now, but if people
> see it being useful and fits the plans of the docs project, I'd be
> interested in contributing every now and then in order to "finish" it
> and make it generally better.   But the primary reason right now in
> importing it *somewhere* is to get it out of the way when Warren needs
> to shut cvs.fedora.us down.

That sounds great to me.

We have a steering committee meeting this afternoon, and I'll work on
getting some additional components that are appropriate for this kind of
bug, and post here to the list with a Cc to you. Then you can file the
bug under Fedora Documentation with summary "New document: Packagers
Handbook" or some such.

> > And, out of curiosity, why don't we see a record of this on
> > fedora-docs-commits?
>
> It was a direct CVS repository copy from cvs.fedora.us in order to
> preserve history, not the usual add + commit.

Cool, thanks for the info.  I am not a big CVS junkie, so I didn't even
realize one could do this!

> (Please Cc me in replies, I'm not subscribed to the docs list at the
> moment.  And Marius is currently taking time off the project; I'm sure
> he wouldn't mind being dropped from Cc.)

I removed him from Cc on this thread, thanks.