Callout style + error

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Mon May 16 16:58:32 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-05-16 at 11:46 -0500, Thomas Jones wrote:
> Thomas Jones wrote:
>
> > I've attempted to determine some information about the callout images
> > used in fedora's documentation --- to no avail.
> >
> > So I bow to the mercy of the mailinglist and ask for help. What is the
> > standardized styling and location of the callout images? I have built
> > custom callouts for current development of my xml sources; but didn't
> > want to stray from standard practice.
> >
> > Also I came across a peculiar problem declaring the xsl parameter
> > using xmlto. For some reason due to the java implemented processor, I
> > am getting a ColumnWidth error. The only alteration performed was to
> > include an extension stylesheet for the declaration of a new image
> > path. :-(
> >
> > Admittedly, I have never used xmlto and prefer xsltproc. However it
> > might be a moot point if the standard path is acceptable.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Thomas
> >
> Bump.

I have no previous experience with callouts, other than looking at how
they're used in "DocBook:TDG."  My chief concern with callouts would be
the impaired-reader issue.  How, if at all, do callouts affect readers
who, for instance, are visually impaired and use audible reader
software?  I would think that if there is a way to avoid callouts that
does not make the document overly cumbesome, it would be wise to do so.

Can you post your sources somewhere, and post a link to the list?
Perhaps then people could suggest an alternative method.  If none can be
found, then we should develop a standard.

I tried finding previous content in f-docs-l, but the mailing list
archives are exceedingly unfriendly to searching.  I searched "callout,"
any match on substring in any section, and *nothing* was returned.  At
the very least, both of Thomas' messages should have been returned.
Maddening, I tell you!