how to generate a pot file for FC-4 release-notes? thx.

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Sun May 29 16:13:15 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-05-26 at 17:49 +0800, Yuan Yijun wrote:
> Greetings,
> I have checked out the release-notes of FC-4 from cvs. Some one
> suggests me to use xml2po to simplify the translation process. I tried
> it but it doesn't work. Some xml files are blank, without a root
> element. Only one of them contains DOCTYPE and xml2po just ignores all
> the tags in the other files. If I specify *.xml in the command line,
> xml2po prompts me

Some of the files in CVS are skeleton files, meaning they are there to
support content but do not contain content.

They are pulled in to the parent XML file RELEASE-NOTES-en.xml, which
has the DOCTYPE header

> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "/usr/bin/xml2po", line 716, in ?
>     CurrentXmlMode.preProcessXml(doc,msg)
>   File "/usr/share/xml2po/docbook.py", line 142, in preProcessXml
>     root = doc.getRootElement()
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/libxml2.py", line 4064, in
> getRootElement
>     if ret is None:raise treeError('xmlDocGetRootElement() failed')
> libxml2.treeError: xmlDocGetRootElement() failed
>
> What should I do to generate a proper pot file?

I'm not sure.  The Makefile.old may help, since it was used previously for i18n.

I don't recommend translating any of the release notes at this stage.
They are extremely raw and full of outdated information.  They will be
completed by 30 May.

In the future, there will be a more direct line from test notes to final
notes, all in XML.

You may want to try fedora-i18n-list for help on generating PO files.

- Karsten
                       Red Hat SELinux Guide