CVSROOT avail,1.13,1.14

James Laska jlaska at redhat.com
Thu Oct 13 12:51:22 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-10-12 at 11:12 -0400, Paul W. Frields wrote:
>   Any assistance here would be gratefully
> accepted.  I think Mr. Laska is going to help me clean up these ugly
> Makefiles, at which point they will be incorporated properly into
> Makefile.common as necessary.

Hey Paul, great work on the Makefile logic.  This will be very helpful
for allowing other groups inside Red Hat to produce documentation
against a common/maintained set of tools/css/xsl.

I filed bug#170522 to work with the newly created docs-common/Makefile.
Basically I'm just adding upon what you've done in an effort to have the
Makefile and spec file work well outside of the fedora-docs proper (for
internal documentation).  I've pulled upon other packages for this logic
(anaconda, kudzu ...).  It lends well to creating a fedora-doc-common
rpm from the local CVS checkout, and from cvs tagged copies.

$ patch  -p1 < /tmp/docs-common.patch
patching file Makefile
patching file packaging/fedora-doc-common.spec
patching file packaging/fedora-doc-common.spec.in

After patching, you now can do the same rpm magic as before, but now you
can decide whether to make a package from what's in CVS, or from local
files.

$ make rpm        # makes rpm out of a specific CVS revision (defaults to HEAD)
$ make local-rpm  # makes rpm out of local checkout

This patch also adds an "install:" target which helps clean up the
specfile.  I also added a target "all:" at the top, which currently is
empty.  Before that the default target was clean, which probably isn't
what one would expect when typing `make`.

This patch also turns the packaging/fedora-doc-common.spec file into a
preprocessed file called packaging/fedora-doc-common.spec.in.  This then
mimics the behavior of other files in the packaging/ directory, and
allows for VERSION and RELEASE variable expansion when creating an
archive (or rpm).

Thoughts/comments/concerns?

Many thanks,
James