Fedora docs processing (Was: [fedora-java] batik [Fwd: Re: com.sun.image.*])

Tommy Reynolds Tommy.Reynolds at MegaCoder.com
Thu Oct 20 15:35:46 UTC 2005

Uttered Karsten Wade <kwade at redhat.com>, spake thus:

> AFAIK, we are using PNG and EPS only for our graphics.  I don't know of
> any reason we cannot strip out JPEG handling.
>
> Fedora doc folk, what think ye?

Well, we are not really using even EPS at the moment since we are not
actually producing any PDF's to speak of.  And at that, EPS is needed
only because the passivetex backend doesn't understand anything else.

However, I think limiting the supported graphics to, in order of
<mediaobject> listing, is: SVG, EPS, and PNG.  I do all my graphics
work in SVG and then render appropriately.  Regardless of how it
gets produced, we can render a PNG into whatever is necessary using
ImageMajick or netpbm.  Both these tools are part of the Fedora
distribution and are thus fully blessed already.  Preliminary SVG
support is provided by the librsvg2 RPM, also blessed by the distro.

Sorry, JPG, it was nice while it lasted, but now it's over.  Anytime
we see jaggies, we'll think of you...

Cheers