Test of Docs Packaging

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Fri Oct 21 14:46:08 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-10-21 at 09:52 -0400, Paul W. Frields wrote:

> I thought originally that fedora-doc-common-<ver>.noarch.rpm might
> provide this (all other RPMs would have a BuildRequires pointing
> thereto) but I am not sure if that's appropriate, or whether we should
> have a separate fedora-doc-devel RPM instead.  The difference would be
> that f-d-common would include content files that are shared by all
> installed documents, whereas f-d-devel would package build components
> that are not used outside the building process.  I don't know where to
> draw that line.  But I can see that this line of thinking might shift
> our process subtly.
>
> For instance, it might open the process a bit to automation, in the same
> way that the brilliant plague/buildsys component has in Fedora Extras.
> Rather than asking for CVS access, people could "yum install
> fedora-doc-devel" and use our toolchain to build their own doc sets the
> way Karsten described, or they might use them for drafting, only
> applying for CVS when it was comfortable.
>
> I'm not sure I can fully articulate how/if this is better than what
> we're doing currently.  Any ideas?

You are going down the correct thought path.  Automation, yes.  There is
going to be lots of that.  Easy-to-install distributed build systems.
There will always be one-true-CVS, but we can work out how to federate
content.  This is the real reason we are XML-centric, not because we
{heart} Emacs and DocBook.

This list makes sense to me and matches what happens with application
packages:

* fedora-doc-common-<ver>.noarch.rpm, no requires
  /usr/share/fedora/doc/$docbase/$lang/docs-common/ or
  /usr/share/fedora/doc/docs-common/
  -- I think there are common pieces that require localization
  -- should the localized content be broken out from the non-localized?

* fedora-doc-devel-<ver>.noarch.rpm, requires f-d-common
  /usr/share/fedora/doc/$docbase/devel/ ???

* fedora-doc-docname-<ver>.noarch.rpm, requires f-d-common
  /usr/share/fedora/doc/$docbase/$lang/$docname-$lang*

Anything missing?  (/me pokes jlaska for comment)

- Karsten
                       Red Hat SELinux Guide