establishing a timezone for FDP

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Fri Oct 21 14:49:47 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-10-21 at 07:43 -0700, Karsten Wade wrote:
> 24 October 17:00 Easter Time
>
> Does this make sense?

Make sense? It has absolutely no meaning to me at all. I couldn't keep
track of when you changed to/from daylight savings time even _before_
you started mucking around with the dates. People often say 'EST' when
they mean 'EDT' and vice versa too, which makes it worse.

Use UTC everywhere; it's not really that hard to expect someone to know
their _own_ timezone. To expect others around the world to keep track of
your own random localtime is bizarre and going to lead to mistakes.

For much the same reasons, when speaking to an international audience we
all usually quote prices in US Dollars or Euros instead of whatever
currency we have in our pocket at the time, and we should always give
dates as '2005-10-21' instead of making the recipient guess whether we
mean mm/dd/yy or dd/mm/yy. It just makes sense.

--
dwmw2