Self-Introduction: Chris Savage

Chris Savage chris at savagereactor.co.uk
Fri Mar 31 02:55:12 UTC 2006

Hi Karsten

> Welcome then, this is definitely the place for you.  Obligatory first
> question is, do you want:
>
> A. Direction on where to start
> B. Some guidance and some being left to your own devices
> C. Answers whenever you ask questions

All of the above would be good, I'm still new to the open-source
community way of life, I've been using Fedora for just under a year, and
have been helping out on fedoraforum.org and IRC, but thats about it.
I'm completely new to all of the processes involved in the project.

> Also, as we're always trying to improve the contribution process *and*
> know there are sticking points in that process, let us know what you
> come across and help us fix it.

I can't really speak for the contribution process as I have absolutely
zero experience of it. I will say that the registration process is
pretty long-winded and almost scared me off, it took me just over an
hour and a half to complete (setting up GPG etc). Thankfully some nice
folks on #fedora-social supported me through it :)

> Sure thing, but don't let that slow down your enthusiasm.  We do a ton
> of work on the Wiki, you just need an account[1] and we can add you to
> the EditGroup to get started.
>
> [1] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Infrastructure/AccountSystem

I've already signed up for an account during the registration process
and returned the CLA which has been "completed successfully". Do you
need my username to add me to the EditGroup?

My first and possibly most important question is what kind of
documentation is required? I've written some Fedora tutorials [1]
although these don't follow the Fedora Doc Guidelines and are pretty
basic. They are based on topics like iptables, NFS etc. is that what is
required by Fedora-docs? or topics related specifically to Fedora?

I've also just finished writing a tutorial on Quotas [2], as I've just
set this up and had a rough time with it, I tried to follow the Fedora
Docs guidelines and would appreciate any feedback on the organization,
structure, writing technique etc.

[1] http://www.savagereactor.co.uk/?page=computing/fc/default.php
[2] http://www.savagereactor.co.uk/?page=computing/fc/quota.php

Chris Savage

p.s. I like that [1] URLs, I've not seen that done before, it makes
e-mails a lot tidier :P