The Brennan Home Server HOWTO

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Mon Dec 24 03:24:10 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-12-24 at 00:25 +0000, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> On Sunday 23 December 2007 10:27:22 pm Miles Brennan wrote:
>
> > The shorewall package is an application designed to assist users in
> > configuring iptables, in fact the structure of the files from what I
> > have seen, mimic the iptables scripts to some extent.
>
> Exactly.
> I found it quite difficult to set up iptables directly
> (this was before I read your HOWTO!)
> and more importantly I had no confidence
> that my iptables gave me reasonable security.
>
> I'm not sure, as I said earlier,
> to what extent shorewall has become the standard way
> of setting up iptables.
> But I certainly think, if you are lazy like me,
> that it saves a lot of brain cells.

To whatever extent is possible, it would be good if the HOWTO used
system-config-firewall, since that's the new and future tool.  If you
find places where s-c-fw falls short, you could file an enhancement bug
or two. :-)  Shorewall is in the repositories too, so you're good to go
there.

           Fedora Project: http://pfrields.fedorapeople.org/