Fedora User Guide

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Thu Dec 18 01:48:26 UTC 2008

On Wed, Dec 17, 2008 at 08:04:22PM -0500, Matthew Daniels wrote:

> Thank you for your suggestion.  This is something we can certainly keep
> in mind as we move forward for our F9 and F10 User Guides.  If there are
> any specific resources that you may have already found that could help
> out in writing these sections, please let me know.

This calls to mind my recent topic on bugzilla components.  Where do
we want people making feature requests (RFEs) for the User Guide?

Ah, the answer is clear; since we are going to convert to XML, we'll
need a new fedorahosted.org site.  We'll add a Trac instance and use
that for upstream feature and bug tracking.

I suppose what we need is a bugzilla component, but that is the open
question.

Matthew -- if I get us the fedorahosted.org space setup, can you
convert some of these in to tasks to track there?  I haven't done a
full fhosted.org setup yet, so I'll document it as I go. ;-)

> Also keep in mind that - although I can't vouch for this 100% - there are
> probably more advanced articles on the Fedora wiki that address at least
> some of these issues.  The User Guide is indended for the basic end
> user's familiarization with Fedora, not for the detailed working of each
> component.  Nonetheless, it would be wise for us to address a lack of
> support for sound and audio if it exists.

As we find pages like that (and put them in [[Category:Documentation]]
and/or [[Category:How to]]), we can link to them from the User Guide.
This gives us nice longevity and control -- the UG stands alone a bit
better as a starting place, and let's us wikify some of the stickier
how-to details that change as the release progresses.  Anything
pertinent can migrate to the UG, for further translation etc.

- Karsten
http://quaid.fedorapeople.org
AD0E0C41