Rookie needs help

Kirk kirk202 at q.com
Mon Feb 16 05:12:55 UTC 2009

On Sun, 15 Feb 2009 23:36:46 -0500
David Nalley <david.nalley at fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> Hi Kirk
>
> Inline reply follows.
>
> On Sun, Feb 15, 2009 at 6:54 PM, Kirk <kirk202 at q.com> wrote:
> > Is there a link to something like a "writer's guide," for us
> > rookies? I don't know if, or what, we can add to the document
> > pages.  Are we limited to the programs loaded at Fedora's
> > installation?
>
> We have a style guide.
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DocsProject/StyleGuide
>
> That said - it's just about impossible to know what programs are
> loaded at installation for any given machine, so the answer is no.
>

> > I've been working on the Communications page of the User-Guide for
> > F10,
> > https://fedoraproject.org/w/index.php?title=User:Kirk202/User_Guide_-_Communications&action=edit
> >
> > If someone has the time to look it over and let me know what I need
> > to change I'd greatly appreciate it.  I'd like to start on another
> > page but would like to know whether or not I'm doing it correctly.
> >
> > Yesterday I discovered I should have been keeping track of all of
> > the changes.  The biggest changes I made were:
> >
> > 1.  Added Claws Mail..should I delete it?
> >
> > 2.  Putting the icons at the under the Heading at the
> > introductory statement without the statement that its the "default
> > icon for the program."  I think I need to change some of the icons
> > because they are different in the F10 that I'm running vs. those in
> > the F9 guide that I used as place-holders.
>
> Could be - feel free to do so if appropriate.
>

> > 3.  The TOC was under the introduction (F9) and I can't get it place
> > anywhere except the top, no matter where I try to put it in the
> > body of the page.  Where's it supposed to be?
>
> Don't worry about that - it will go away when you move to Docbook -
> just concentrate on content.
> That said you add non-Hx content prior to the Hx and it appears above
> the ToC.
>

> > Finally, the Communications page doesn't have an IRC program, ie,
> > X-Chat, or Chatzilla, maybe due to our guidelines?
>
> That's probably an oversight. Since fp.o uses IRC as a main
> communications channel we should definitely include IRC in my opinion.
> I'd think x-chat for Gnome and konversation for KDE.
>

> Thanks for starting your work with the Docs Project.
>
> David Nalley

Thanks David.  This is very helpful.  (Hope I'm replying to this
correctly)  Appreciate the link to the Style Guide.  I'm excited
working with the Docs Project, albeit lots to learn.

I'll work on x-chat & Konversation tomorrow and read the Style Guide as
well.

What's non_Hx content,  Hx and fp.o?

Kirk Ziegler