Rookie needs help

David Nalley david.nalley at fedoraproject.org
Mon Feb 16 04:36:46 UTC 2009

Hi Kirk

Inline reply follows.

On Sun, Feb 15, 2009 at 6:54 PM, Kirk <kirk202 at q.com> wrote:
> Is there a link to something like a "writer's guide," for us rookies?
> I don't know if, or what, we can add to the document pages.  Are we
> limited to the programs loaded at Fedora's installation?

We have a style guide.
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DocsProject/StyleGuide

That said - it's just about impossible to know what programs are
loaded at installation for any given machine, so the answer is no.

> I've been working on the Communications page of the User-Guide for F10,
> https://fedoraproject.org/w/index.php?title=User:Kirk202/User_Guide_-_Communications&action=edit
>
> If someone has the time to look it over and let me know what I need to
> change I'd greatly appreciate it.  I'd like to start on another page
> but would like to know whether or not I'm doing it correctly.
>
> Yesterday I discovered I should have been keeping track of all of the
> changes.  The biggest changes I made were:
>
> 1.  Added Claws Mail..should I delete it?
>
> 2.  Putting the icons at the under the Heading at the
> introductory statement without the statement that its the "default icon
> for the program."  I think I need to change some of the icons because
> they are different in the F10 that I'm running vs. those in the F9 guide
> that I used as place-holders.

Could be - feel free to do so if appropriate.

> 3.  The TOC was under the introduction (F9) and I can't get it place
> anywhere except the top, no matter where I try to put it in the body of
> the page.  Where's it supposed to be?

Don't worry about that - it will go away when you move to Docbook -
just concentrate on content.
That said you add non-Hx content prior to the Hx and it appears above the ToC.

> Finally, the Communications page doesn't have an IRC program, ie,
> X-Chat, or Chatzilla, maybe due to our guidelines?

That's probably an oversight. Since fp.o uses IRC as a main
communications channel we should definitely include IRC in my opinion.
I'd think x-chat for Gnome and konversation for KDE.

Thanks for starting your work with the Docs Project.

David Nalley