moving toward a content management decision

Basil Mohamed Gohar abu_hurayrah at hidayahonline.org
Sun Jan 11 20:51:45 UTC 2009

On Sun, 2009-01-11 at 10:28 -0800, Karsten Wade wrote:
> While the wiki covers 90%+ of the content collaboration needs for
> Fedora, we continue to need a content management system (CMS) for the
> Docs Project.  A CMS gives us workflow tools that makes it easy to
> turn any contributor in to a publisher, while ensuring the ongoing
> quality of the content throughout the lifecycle of a Fedora version.
> For more information, read the blog posts linked from here:
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/CMS_solution_for_Fedora_Project_websites#Background
>
> We've had a lot of discussions around CMS here at FUDCon, none of
> which actually got us closer to a physical choice.  Every choice is a
> double-edged sword, a phrase which here means, no matter which way we
> swing it, it cuts our target and cuts ourselves.
>
> Ultimately, my biggest concern is that any choice have a team of
> people who know how to deploy and maintain the solution.  Aside from
> technical capabilities, this is perhaps the most important criteria to
> meet.
>
> The solution we are walking away with today is to take the topic to
> fedora-devel-list, fedora-list, and the blogs.  Tell people:
>
> * We are picking a Docs Project CMS
>
> * We are going to go with whatever CMS that meets the minimum
>   must-have requirements[1] and has a team willing to step-up and do
>   the work for the Fedora community.
>
> * The work will happen within the Fedora Infrastructure project in a
>   semi-isolated environment to minimize contact risk from potentially
>   insecure apps.
>
> * The new team must be at least two to three experienced web system
>   administrators, with no more than one team member already overly
>   busy in Infrastructure.  (We need to minimize overloading too small
>   and too busy a group of people.)
>
> How does this sound?
>
> - Karsten
>
> [1] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/CMS_solution_for_Fedora_Project_websites

Karsten,

This all sounds great to me.  I think, if things don't work out with the
man page coverage project I'm currently trying to wrangle, I may
volunteer to be one of, if not the lead, of the web-side of things, as
that is my 9-5 and what I have most experience with - namely, web
development and deploying PHP-based web apps.  I believe the CMSes that
were looked at (Drupal et al) as options were all PHP/MySQL-based, which
is right up my alley.

I think once I settle down (I'm currently moving from Egypt to Malaysia,
leaving on Wednesday at noon local time), I'll be able to give both of
these projects far more time.

Basil Mohamed Gohar
abu_hurayrah at hidayahonline.org
www.basilgohar.com