Ideas for Fedora Planet site

Joshua Wulf jwulf at redhat.com
Mon Jun 15 23:08:25 UTC 2009

On 06/16/2009 01:39 AM, Ricky Zhou wrote:
> On 2009-06-15 05:22:35 PM, Jeroen van Meeuwen wrote:
>
>>> Then setup an rss feed reader. Liferea, google reader, etc, etc. They all
>>>
>>> have a search feature.
>>>

>> Thunderbird has one, too, in case you want to take this offline.
>>
> To add to the list of tips, I have rss2email setup for Fedora Planet, so
> I get all posts via email and can keep a full history since I started
> :-)
>
> Thanks,
> Ricky

I think that these are good ideas - although they take the site away
from being the "statically generated html page on a cron job" snapshot
of the Fedora blogverse that a Planet Planet-powered "site" (actually is
just a page) fundamentally is.

The responses I've read so far have not been about the Fedora Planet
site, but rather about client configuration. There is a difference.

If we were to put this kind of functionality on the site then it would
be available to everyone, all the time, with no client-side configuration.

It would be a community service.

It depends on who which audience(s) we want to serve.

Technically capable people can roll their own functionality using any
number of applications or web services. Not so technically-savvy people,
or people who are "just passing by" are not going to do that.

- Josh

--
Joshua J Wulf
Manager