Proposal for Implementing a Docbook Editor

Betty Harvey harvey at eccnet.com
Sun Mar 22 15:29:29 UTC 2009

Sorry Satya - I am late to the party (discussion).  A really good web
based XML (docbook, DITA and generic) editor would be really nice.
A few of the desktop XML editors (XMetal and Arbortext Editors)
endeavored to create a web-based generic web-based editor with
limited success.

Just Systems is still marketing their product XMAX and it looks
promising but unfortunately it only runs on a Windows-based server
(not good).

There is another editor called XOpus that looks pretty promising as
well.  I have played with this one a little and it looks pretty good
but lacks some of the functionality that is needed for the non-XML
savvy author/editor and it crashes  when using Mozilla which makes it
a non-starter for most environments.

I think that an editor that can used in a content management (I am
using this loosely) system such as Drupal would be very appealing.
There is an XML module for displaying XML in Drupal but nothing
that provides a structured editing environment.

Good luck and I look forward to hearing more about your project
as it moves forward!

Betty

<quote who="satya komaragiri">