Proposal for Implementing a Docbook Editor

satya komaragiri satya.komaragiri at gmail.com
Sun Mar 22 16:38:13 UTC 2009

Hi Betty,

On Sun, Mar 22, 2009 at 8:59 PM, Betty Harvey <harvey at eccnet.com> wrote:
> Sorry Satya - I am late to the party (discussion).  A really good web
> based XML (docbook, DITA and generic) editor would be really nice.
> A few of the desktop XML editors (XMetal and Arbortext Editors)
> endeavored to create a web-based generic web-based editor with
> limited success.

Thanks for mailing :) You are not late and feedback is always welcome.

> Just Systems is still marketing their product XMAX and it looks
> promising but unfortunately it only runs on a Windows-based server
> (not good).
>
> There is another editor called XOpus that looks pretty promising as
> well.  I have played with this one a little and it looks pretty good
> but lacks some of the functionality that is needed for the non-XML
> savvy author/editor and it crashes  when using Mozilla which makes it
> a non-starter for most environments.

Also, unfortunately, neither of these editors is Open Sourced/Free.

> I think that an editor that can used in a content management (I am
> using this loosely) system such as Drupal would be very appealing.
> There is an XML module for displaying XML in Drupal but nothing
> that provides a structured editing environment.

The Docbook editor will be just like TinyMCE or FCKEditor. This can be
embedded anywhere in the webpage and a back-end can be hooked into it
to perform XSLT operations. The target save points etc are fully
customizable. Examples of this would be Wordpress which uses TinyMCE
or Drupal itself where there is a TInyMCE add on.

> Good luck and I look forward to hearing more about your project
> as it moves forward!
>
> Betty

Thanks!

Satya