Tomorrow's Docs Meeting

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Wed Mar 25 20:45:50 UTC 2009

On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 09:33:42AM -0700, Karsten Wade wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 12:43:25AM -0400, Eric Christensen wrote:
> > I have further updated the agenda for tomorrow's meeting[1].  If you
> > have an opinion on how the Beta Announcement should read or what tool(s)
> > we will use to publish our documentation then you should be there!
>
> I have an update that is a potential show stopper.  According to this
> page:
>
> https://translate.fedoraproject.org/tx/projects/docs-release-notes/master/
>
> ... building with Publican means no translation using common L10n
> infrastructure.  Each translator would have to 'git clone' the
> repository or otherwise submit PO files more manually.

Sorry, sorry, this was my brain breaking.  Please allow me to correct
myself before someone else does. :)

**Submitting translations works** to a Publican-based document from
  Transifex.

**Statistics tracking on the web page doesn't work** because Transifex
  doesn't support the the PO file structure that Publican uses.

This is not a blocker for getting translations in.

It is a regression of the translator experience.  Instead of using the
WebUI for all of their progress tracking, translators have to use
command line tools.

Recall that the majority of translators are non-native English
speakers; teaching them a one-off method to use for just this release
is a lot more work than patching Transifex.

Also, recall that while documents have a lot of strings to translate
compared to software, document modules are a small percentage of the
total number of modules a translation team is working with.  It's a
disproportionately large % of the work effort, and requires
translators and team leads to leave the WebUI for a disproportionately
small % of the modules being tracked.

If we can get some help to patch Transifex to handle Publican-based PO
files for statistics, this would be a big win for all involved.

- Karsten
http://quaid.fedorapeople.org
AD0E0C41