More Publican Pain

John J. McDonough wb8rcr at arrl.net
Mon Mar 30 13:56:44 UTC 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Eric Christensen" <eric at christensenplace.us>
To: "For participants of the Documentation Project"
<fedora-docs-list at redhat.com>
Sent: Monday, March 30, 2009 9:26 AM
Subject: Re: More Publican Pain

I'm using IE7.  I believe IE8 is still in beta.  Unfortunately, I recently
updated all my IE6's.  That is still probably the most prevalent browser out
there and I can't test it.  IE7 appeared about the same time as Vista and it
got caught up in the Vista negativity.  I haven't seen any evidence of the
IE7 horror stories I heard when it first came out, but they prevented me
from getting rid of IE6 for a very long time.  And on those web pages where
I see those kind of stats, I still see a lot of IE6.

I've never seen svg graphics used on the web except on Fedora sites, but it
is just plain wrong for IE to simply barf on that.  I would expect to see
the box and go on.  Why it totally stops I have no idea.

On the other hand, I have no idea why Publican would put out a 0xc2 after
each section number.  This seems like an unnecessary thing to do.

*HOWEVER*, if I select UTF-8 encoding, the page displays properly.  The A
circumflex is clearly an IE bug.  With encoding set to automatic, IE selects
Western European (at least for a US copy of Windows), when the page clearly
says UTF-8.

Clearly, there are a couple of IE bugs here that we are exploiting.  But it
really doesn't change the problem, does it?

--McD