Fedora 12 Beta Announcement

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Mon Oct 19 17:39:28 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-10-16 at 08:15 -0400, John J. McDonough wrote:
> [...]

I see more changes keep landing :)

Couple of notes on recent changes:

"Of note, is that by default, Dracut generates generic initramfs images
containing most kernel modules needed to boot on most hardware,
increasing file size by about 3 times. To switch to more efficient
hostonly images, see /etc/dracut.conf." - I don't think this kind of
release note belongs in the beta announcement (if we take this one, I
can contribute all kinds of similar ones to the other sections). At
most, a straight link to the release notes (where this text should
actually be included).

"As always, the Fedora Project continues to push these enhancements
upstream and make them available for all Linux distributions." - it
seems a bit odd to write this _just_ in the webcam section, when
obviously it applies to almost the entire document. Either we should
have a little general blurb about this at the top - something like 'The
Fedora Project's policy is to contribute all its development work to
upstream projects to benefit as many users of all distributions and
operating systems as possible', perhaps with a link elsewhere in the
Wiki to the full policy and 'list of contributions' page - or we don't
mention it at all.

Developers and Sysadmins proposed section - I'm worried the
announcement's already pretty long. In my experience, people tune out
after the first half a page or so. (Most people probably aren't going to
read past 'graphics support improvements' in the current text, IMHO).
Still, not sure what a good solution is. A separate page would be
equally rarely-viewed and it's hard to send out an announcement as
multiple pages. I've been trying to keep the length of the current text
down but it just keeps ballooning...

--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey